Match Report – Sandbach United 4 FC Oswestry 0

By Jack Beresford

After a run of four consecutive away games, Sandbach finally returned to Hind Heath Road and were looking to maintain their good form after beating New Mills 5-1 on Monday.

FC Oswestry started the brighter of the two teams and could’ve been in front after just 11 minutes when Sam Spridgeon powered his way into the box and squared it to Tom Rowlands whose first-time shot was straight at Ryan Moss.

Three minutes later Sandbach took the lead against the run of play, A good one-two down the right-hand side between Chris Rowntree and James Kirby allowed Rowntree to play the ball through to Chris Smith whose first time shot with his right foot from just outside the box squeezed under Macklin in the Oswestry goal and trickled over the line to give Sandbach the lead.

In the 31st minute Sandbach thought they had doubled their lead when a long range shot from Ryan Allcock hit the post and fell to Stuart Tulloch who poked home from 12 yards, although the assistant on the far side flagged for offside preventing Tulloch from getting his eighth goal of the season. Tulloch came close again six minutes later when James Kirby found him unmarked on the edge of the box, with the keeper rushing out Tulloch had the presence of mind to lift the ball over the goalkeeper, although unfortunately for him it hit the top of the bar and went out for a goal kick. The first half came to an end with the Sandbach leading 1-0.

Much like the game on Monday, Sandbach ran riot in the second half and in the 49th minute they doubled their lead. Josh Lane played a long ball down the right to Kirby who drove into the box and played it across to Tulloch who took a touch and hit his shot straight at the keeper, the rebound fell nicely for Ryan Allcock who brilliantly volleyed into the top right corner from just outside the box making it 2-0 to United.

Sandbach almost made the game safe in the 55th minute when a long switch of play from right to left by Tulloch found Kirby who played the ball inside for Lane whose first-time shot was again, straight at the keeper. Two minutes later Sandbach made it three when Tulloch’s ball down the right was met by Kirby who ran towards the goal and squared it for Chris Jackson who poked the ball into an empty net to get his second goal of the season.

The game was won now and Sandbach were cruising to yet another three points to maintain their play off ambitions. With 15 minutes to go James Kirby scored his obligatory goal when he received the ball on halfway and drove forward and unleashed a venomous shot just outside the box which beat the keeper and found its way into the bottom left corner of the goal.

Deep into added time FC Oswestry almost grabbed a consolation goal when a short corner from Edward Moss found Joseph Newton whose cross was perfect for Sam Pickering who hit the bar from just six yards out.

It was another superb performance from Sandbach who controlled the game from start to finish. However, the score line could’ve been much greater if it wasn’t for poor finishing from Sandbach, although there can be no complaints as Sandbach have scored nine goals in the last two games.

Comments are closed, but trackbacks and pingbacks are open.