Nantwich Town v Sandbach United 17 July 2018 Match Report

Nantwich Town 2 Sandbach United 2

As the start of the season draws ever closer Sandbach travelled to the Weaver Stadium to take on Nantwich Town in another pre-season friendly.

Sandbach had the first chance of the game in the seventh minute when a corner from the right by recent signing Billy Buckley was met by Kris Stockton at the back post, however Stockton’s header was straight at Will Jasskelainen in the Nantwich goal. 

Nantwich dominated the second half and they tried to get the ball into their experienced strikers Danny Glover and James Lawrie. It was Lawrie who had the biggest influence of the first half as his cross from deep on 20 minutes was perfectly weighted for Joe Malkin who was on hand to head into the bottom right corner from close range. 

In a first half that was somewhat dull It was the Dabbers who went in at half time 1-0 up. 

At half time Nantwich has bought on former Sandbach players Jordan Davies and last years player of the season Ryan Allcock for some added attacking intent. It took Allcock all of three minutes to make an impact on the game as Steve McNicol’s loose pass fell to him inside the Sandbach half, his through ball then found Malkin who shot straight at Moss in the Sandbach goal. 

Soon after Nantwich doubled their lead as Adam Clayton lost the ball in his own box allowing Malkin to find Steve Jones fresh off his Vets world cup win, to slot home into the empty net. Jones then had another opportunity when more poor passing from the Sandbach defenders allowed him to make room for a shot from the edge of the box, but his low curling shot was well held by Moss as he dived low to his left. 

Sandbach had a lot of work to do in order to get back into the game. With just over half an hour of the game left United pulled a goal back when a deep cross from Jake Chadwick found substitute Derryn Ofori who headed home with his first touch of the game. It was soon two for Sandbach as a long ball from Ryan Moss was headed on by full back Conner Doherty, his header found Kieran Knapper who beat the keeper to the ball before taking it around him and then sliding the ball home, making the score 2-2. 

With 8 minutes to go Nantwich had a golden opportunity to take the lead when a long ball over the top found veteran Steve Jones who beat onrushing keeper Ryan Moss to the ball, Jones was then able to take it around Moss and shoot at an empty net, however Keaton Webster flung his body at the ball, clearing it off the line and denying the goal. The game ended 2-2 and was a very competitive game which both teams will take a lot from.


Match report:  Jack Beresford

Photos:  John Clayton

Comments are closed, but trackbacks and pingbacks are open.