13/02/2022: Local Sport Round Up

Crewe Regional Sunday Football League Round Up: Des Evans
Photographs: Jonathan White

In The Crewe Regional Sunday League, teams had to battle against driving rain and strong winds in very difficult playing conditions. However, all games except one were played. Unfortunately that game involved George & Dragon, who have a substantial number of matches still to play. Their fixture against NHB was switched from Winsford to Bunbury, but the pitch there was unplayable.

In the Premier Division, league leaders The Lions beat Broadhurst FC 3-0, thanks to goals from Danny May, Caine Mellor and Josh Clarke. Broadhurst FC had their goal keeper sent off in the first half for a rash challenge.

The game between Talbot and Raven Salvador was abandoned with some 15 minutes remaining, with the referee claiming that he was unwilling to take any more abuse from the home side. Talbot were down to nine men at that point, having had two players sent off. Raven Salvador were 1-2 ahead with goals from Robsan Osman and Josh Wynne. Liam Whittaker scored again for Talbot.

The game between Cheshire Cheese and Willaston White Star was switched from Wheelock to Willaston as the Wheelock pitch was unfit. Willaston won an entertaining game 4-2, after being 1-0 behind with goals from Pawel Abramowicz, Lukasz Synowicz, Dan Harrison and Adam Pountain. Two of their goals were penalties. Ben Reddock netted both goals for Cheshire Cheese.

Faddiley had signed two new players during the week and they got off to the best possible start with each player scoring within two minutes of the kick off. Chris Boulter scored after just 16 seconds, and James Emerton made it 2-0 in the second minute. However, two goals from Joel Hind made it 2-2 at half time, and the same player went on to complete his hat trick and give the visitors a 2-3 victory. 

In Division One, Audlem just shaded an exciting game against Sandbach Town, winning 5-4. Defender Sam Mason put the home side ahead after 10 minutes when he netted from close range following a corner kick, and the other Audlem marksmen were Nick Gregory, Seb Burrow Dan Rooney and Andrew Betteley. Goalkeeper Jack Sehne appeared as a goalscorer for Sandbach Town, along with Lewis Barker, Joe Macdonald and Jack Townsend. The game ended in controversy, with the referee blowing for full time moments before Sandbach Town netted what would have been an equalising goal.

Ruskin Park battled hard against White Horse, who continued their decent form of late with a 2-5 win. Dean Rockcliffe and Michael Smith netted for Ruskin Park, with the White Horse marksmen being George Botham (2), Tom Royle, Sean Simcock and Louis Everall.

Winsford Over kept up the pressure on Audlem and Cooper Buckley with an emphatic 9-3 win over Princes Feathers. Surprisingly, they only had two scorers, with Tom Stanton netting five and Will Igoe four. Bob Langley got two goals for Princes Feathers, with their other goal coming from Ethan Stockall.

Nantwich Pirates and Leighton shared six goals on Barony Park. The visitors were 1-2 ahead at half time, but the game ended at 3-3. Anthony Broadhurst, Sam Cadwallader and Mikey Truan netted for The Pirates, with the Leighton scorers being Lewis Ralphs, Jake Foster and Reece Quinn. C & N Utd. beat JS Bailey 1-6, with new signing Tom Boyers and Tim Morris both netting twice. Joe Bell and Jack Cope were also on target, with Justin Manini scoring the JS Bailey goal. 

Betley travelled to Biddulph for their semi- final tie in the Staffs. FA TB Williamson Cup against Moorlands Athletic, and they won in extra time after a highly eventful match. The home side were 4-0 up after 30 minutes, before a Danny Lavalette goal gave Betley just a glimmer of hope at half time. Two goals from Keiron Duckers  made it 4-3, but when the home side made it 5-3 after 85 minutes, it looked all over for Betley. However, they scored twice through Cobi Bateman and Pete Williams to take the match into extra time, during which Keiron Duckers completed his hat trick to give the Regional League side a remarkable victory. Betley secretary Andrew Slaney said that he would be spending Sunday afternoon lying down to recover!!

Other Local Sporting News

Nantwich Town were defeated 3-1 at home by Buxton.

Sandbach United lost 3-1 at Broxton.

The Crewe FC match at home to AFC Knowsley was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.

Four friends who met only a few months ago were jubilant winners of an epic 3000-mile Atlantic rowing challenge after being backed by Mornflake.