Local Sport

29/08/2021: Crewe Regional League Round Up

Crewe Regional Sunday League match Barony Park in Nantwich (photo: Jonathan White)

Article: Des Evans
Photograph: Jonathan White

The Crewe Regional Sunday Football League began its new season, albeit with three games postponed, as certain clubs could not raise a team because of the Bank Holiday weekend.

The Premier Division had four new teams, following promotion from Division One, and all were in action, with mixed results.

Cheshire Cheese (formerly Sydney Arms) won 1-2 at NHB, with goals from Charlie Maines and Tim Beresford. Ben Walker netted for NHB.

Winnington SC came from behind to draw 3-3 at Willaston White Star, and missed a penalty kick in the process. Lukas Synowicz (2), and Danny Williams scored for the Star, with Joel Hind (2) and Jordan Sherlock scoring for the visitors.

Broadhurst FC lost 0-1 to Betley, the only goal being a late penalty kick converted by Danny Lavalette.

The final promoted team, Talbot, went down 4-2 at Crewe Athletic, for whom Luke Gillan scored a hat trick, with Jordan Amson also on target. Ryan Moss and Liam Whittaker scored for Talbot.

In Division One, three of the four new teams were in action. Two of them met on Barony Park, with the well fancied Cooper Buckley running out comfortable 8-1 winners.  Ben Burrow netted three, Ashley Edwards two, with Taylor Vickers, Jack Gater and Ross Martin also on target.

Another new club, Leighton FC, went down 3-2 to White Horse, who were 2-0 ahead after only four minutes. Tom Royle scored a splendid individual goal, and quickly followed that up by converting a penalty kick. Before half time he converted a second penalty to give White Horse a 3-0 lead at the interval.  Dan Frost and Jake Foster netted for Leighton after the break, but the home side held out to win. Royle completed a highly eventful morning by getting sent off.

Nantwich Pirates went down 0-3 to a lively Audlem side, whose goals came from James Craig (2) and Callum Mese.

Princes Feathers and Sandbach Town played out a 1-1 draw, with Ethan Stockall netting for the home side, with Tom Cotton scoring for Sandbach Town.