Nantwich Town 0 Hyde United 2

Article: Jack Beresford
Photographs: Jonathan White

On a perfect night for football, Nantwich were looking to carry on the momentum that they got from winning their FA Cup tie against Hyde, and as both sides came out it looked as if they would do so.

Dave Cooke lined his side up with the best chance to attack the visitors, and right from the off it looked like it would pay dividends, as within the first minute Hyde’s CB Jordan Fagbola was booked for a foul.

From there though things started to go pear shaped for the home side, as within five minutes of that incident, after a cross from out wide, Tom Pratt, the captain led the way for Hyde, as he struck to give the away side a vital, and one has to say, a much deserved lead.

They had managed to win the vital midfield battle, and were very much on top, with the Dabbers only offering sporadic attacks, which didn’t mount to much in the first half.

The visitors nearly doubled their advantage when in the 14th minute Liam Tongue hit a shot from just outside the penalty box, which hit the crossbar, the home side could feel very fortunate to see that rebound to safety.

One rare display of attacking prowess in the first half from Nantwich, should have seen the home sides captain on the night, Joel Stair equalise, as a well worked bit of play ended with his shot from close range ending up being saved by Joel Green in the opposition’s goal.

Not too long after though, Hyde grabbed a deserved second goal, after Jonah Mitchell pounced on a  Liam Tongue free kick to put the ball high into the net, and at half time it looked as if there would be a mountain to climb for the home side.

Manager Dave Cooke rang the changes just before the second half kicked off with Troy Bourne and Shaun Miller coming on for Luke Walsh and Tommy Montefiori, and this did indeed look to have transformed the side, as Nantwich looked a completely different side to the one that played in the first half.

They were on the front foot, and looked to have won the midfield battle, and looked renewed, and had a new belief about them.

They still needed to find that first goal to get back into the game though, Sean Cooke who had grown in importance in the game had a shot deflected just wide three minutes in, and that set the tone for what was to come.  There was not one, but two penalty shouts for the home side turned down by the referee, and after the first one Miller had a chance that just failed to go in.

Then later on, after a great move by Nantwich, Joe Mwasile had the best chance of the game, out sprinting the visitors defence, and shooting wide of the far post.

The chances were there for the home side, they just were not taking them unfortunately.

Despite being on top in the second half, that vital first goal didn’t materialise, and Hyde United held on for the victory, to dampen the home side’s spirits, as the game finished Nantwich Town 0-2 Hyde United.


J. Stair (c)
Sy (sub T. Stair)
Montefiori (sub Miller)
Walsh (sub Miller)

Subs not used

Hyde United
Jones (sub Baily-Jones)
Mitchell (sub Waters)
Pratt (c)


Attendance: 314