Scarborough Athletic 1-1 Nantwich Town

Connor Heath (Nantwich Town)

Article: Jack Beresford

First Team Coach Jay Bateman described his teams 1-1 draw away at Scarborough Athletic as “Pleasing point” after Super Sub Connor Heath gave The Dabbers a share of the points.

After crashing out of the FA Cup on Tuesday night, The Dabbers retuned to league action as they made the long trip to the North East to face Scarborough Athletic.

Dave Cooke’s side had made a good start to the league campaign, winning two and drawing their first game of the season away to FC United of Manchester. Their hosts had made a mixed start to the season, picking up 7 points from their first 5 games.

After the poor start that Nantwich made on Tuesday, Dave Cooke would have been hoping that his side flew out the blocks and asserted themselves on the game. They had the first half chance of the game as Sean Cooke had a free kick in a dangerous position. However he couldn’t get it over the wall and it was easily cleared. Moments later the hosts had their first opportunity of the game as experienced Notts County midfielder got on the end of Kian Spence’s cross but his header was weak and easy for Greg Hall in the Dabbers goal.

Nantwich striker Scott McGowan was making his first appearance for the club since he joined from 1874 Northwich. When Sean Cooke won the ball in the offensive half and fed the forward he had a good opportunity to mark his debut with a goal, however his shot was straight at Ryan Whitley.

In the 37th minute Cooke and McGowan linked up well again as Sean Cooke’s quick free kick found McGowan in the box but he dragged his first time effort across the face of goal. Nathan Cartman has been on fire for the hosts in front of goal this season, scoring four goals in his first five games. He came close the opening the scoring as he was given space in the box to shoot, but Greg Hall down well to turn it around the post and away for a corner.

As the referee signalled half time, both sides had chances to go ahead, but neither had taken them so it was still all to play for in the second period.

Seven minutes into the second half the hosts were given a great chance to take the lead after Troy Bourne tripped a Scarborough player in the box giving the referee no choice but to award a penalty. Up stepped Nathan Cartman who sent Greg Hall the wrong way as he slotted his penalty low, into the bottom right corner to give his side the lead in the 52nd minute. It was a disappointing way for The Dabbers to go behind, however with most of the second half to there was plenty of time to get back into the game.

Dave Cooke was throwing everything at Scarborough as he tried get to back on level terms. In 72nd minute he made an attacking chance as he took off centre half Joel Stair and replaced him with Connor Heath in what turned out to be a masterstroke from The Dabbers, after only being on the pitch for five minutes, the former Crewe Alex striker drew level as he headed home a pinpoint Matty Devine cross at the back post to level the scores.

After getting level it was Nantwich who were looking favourites to grab a winner, Troy Bourne got to the byline down the right and drilled a ball across goal, however it was well cleared by Dylan Cogill who managed to get there before anyone to prevent any danger. The game was looking like it was going to end in a draw, which was really a fair result. Nantwich had one last opportunity in the 93rd minute as David Webb ambitiously tried his luck from a 30 yard freekick, however it curled the wrong side of the post without troubling the keeper.

As the referee blew his final whistle to signal the end of a very competitive match between two good sides, both sets of managers and fans would have been satisfied with the performance they had seen from their sides.

After the game Jay Bateman said “A point was a fair result, I think Scarborough probably had the better of the ball but we are pleased to leaving with a point. We certainly had our chances but they are a tough team to break down, especially with two big centre halves. First half we struggled to create anything, but we looked better when we changed to 3 up top, we got the ball to them quicker and looked a lot more dangerous”